Schools charging 'illegal' fee
Schools warned against charging 'illegal' fee
Karachi, April 11, 2008: At a time when the Secondary School Certificate (Class
IX and X) annual examinations are only four days away, a number of private
schools have threatened to withhold admit cards of their Class X students if
they fail to deposit July's tuition fee, an act the Sindh education department's
directorate of private schools has described as 'unjust' and
A number of parents rang up Dawn to complain that the schools
where their wards were studying in Class X were compelling them to deposit
July's tuition fee or else they would not be issued admit cards.
said they feared their children would lose their precious academic year if admit
cards were not issued.
When the parents' concern was brought to the
notice of the provincial education department's private schools/institutions
director, Mansoob Hussain Siddiqui, he not only described the demand for July's
tuition fee from Class X students as 'illegal' and 'unjust', but also warned
such schools that their registration might be cancelled.
he, too, had received complaints that some private schools were forcing Class X
students to pay July's tuition fee, he said he had already issued show-cause
notices to a number of private schools, asking them not to charge July's tuition
fee from students appearing in their forthcoming annual matriculation
He said he had already formed a three-member committee to
look into such complaints and take stern action against schools threatening to
withhold admit cards of their Class X students merely because they were not
paying July's fee.
Mr Siddiqui asked parents whose wards were not being
issued admit cards to lodge complaints about such schools at the private schools
directorate on telephone 2776416 or bring the issue to the notice of the members
of the committee formed to deal with such issues.
The directorate of
private schools on receiving such complaints will not only issue show-cause
notices to such schools but will even cancel registrations of schools found
guilty of harassing and fleecing parents on one pretext or another, he
Asked what action would be taken against those private schools
which had already charged July's tuition fee, he said that in such a case "we
will get the fee refunded to the students".
Answering another question,
he said the directorate had recently issued show-cause notices to a number of
schools for charging illegal fees. Dawn
Edu dept unearths girls scholarship funds scam
Karachi: The education department of the City government has unearthed a
misappropriation in the scholarship funds programme for girls studying at
schools run by the city district government Karachi.
In his regard, a report
has also been sent to the chief secretary Sindh, secretary education, City Nazim
Mustafa Kamal and all other concerned authorities for a departmental action, The
Nation has learnt on Thursday.
The sources in EDO secretariat said that a
massive misappropriation in the scholarship funds programme for girls in the
financial education year 2004-05 was witnessed as Rs 13.9 million had been
usurped. Out of it, around Rs 9.4 million was usurped through cross checks by a
former high-official of the education department who was currently suspended,
the sources told.
It is noticed that according to the scholarship programme
Rs 1,000 must be provided to each girl student annually, studying in the CDGK
runs schools. While during the financial year of 2004-2005, around 5,800 girls
student were deprived of getting scholarship, the sources added.
said that many girls were enrolled in approximately 20 schools, which were
supposedly boy schools in various localities, but these were vacant for the last
many years. It became need of the people of those areas to let the girls go into
those schools, the sources added.
Since these were the schools meant for
boys, the high-officials made this an excuse for not providing girls a
EDO Education Fakkar Karim said that the former EDO Wahab Abbasi
was involved in this crime, as when he was appointed as DO in the education
department, he drew the cross checks of scholarships fund from his personal
She informed that some evidences had also been found in this regard
including bank statements and the chief secretary, secretary education, the city
nazim and other concerned authorities were being informed about it. The Nation
|Post your Comments/ Views about the news.|
|Updated: 14 Oct, 2014|