2005 Earthquake & Schools rebuilding
Earthquake of 2005: Over 600 schools await rebuilding
Peshawar, Aug 15: Over 600 schools 'unnecessarily' pulled down by
contractors soon after the Oct 2005 devastating earthquake in Hazara
division have been awaiting reconstruction for around seven years,
according to the relevant officials.
Neither the successive provincial and federal governments allocated
any funds for the purpose nor did donors pay any attention towards it.
Officials said 612 schools were intact and in usable condition after
the 2005 earthquake but were demolished by contractors to get better
payments for the damaged school flattening exercise.
They said after the 2005 earthquake, the then government contracted
some firms to remove debris of damaged schools but the contractors,
besides doing the assigned task, also pulled down the schools, which
were either undamaged or slightly damaged.
According to them, the cost of the school reconstruction was
estimated seven years ago to be Rs3 billion but the government later
failed to arrange the amount.
Officials said the number of such schools was 322 in Mansehra, 153 in Battagram, 62 in Abbottabad and 75 in Shangla.
They said these schools were called 'non-strategy schools' because
the education department learned about them after the government planned
reconstruction of the schools destroyed by earthquake.
According to officials, prior to the start of the reconstruction
process, the elementary and secondary education department conducted a
survey to learn about completely and partially damaged schools in the
However, the undamaged schools demolished by the contractors were not
part of the collected data because at the time of data collection, the
buildings of those schools were in place. They were pulled down
The government has made temporary arrangements for the students as
such schools have been established in the tents and rented buildings,
said an executive district officer education.
He said for an educational institution, building was one of the
physical requirements, while when there was no building and students
were sitting inside the tents the educational atmosphere would
definitely be disturbed.
The EDO said girl students and their teachers feel insecure while studying in a place with no boundary wall and roof.
He said renting buildings in the earthquake-hit areas of Hazara division was a very expensive option.
MPA from Abbottabad Javed Abbasi said that he and other MPAs
from Hazara division repeatedly raised the issue of the destruction of
undamaged schools on the floor of the House, but to no avail.
"Those schools were either undamaged or slightly damaged that could
have repaired by utilising of a small amount of money," he said.
The MPA said provincial Chief Minister Ameer Haider Khan Hoti had
promised to raise the matter with the federal government but that didn't
When contacted, elementary and secondary education minister Sardar
Hussain Babak said the schools, which remained unaffected or slightly
affected by the earthquake were demolished during the Muttahida
"The MMA government should have stopped the dismantling of such schools," he said.
The minister said the ANP-led provincial government was the first to take notice of the demolitions after collecting their data.
He said the government had been negotiating the reconstruction of
schools with the Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority
"I am hopeful that the funds will be secured soon," he said. Dawn
Post your comments
UET students tops ICT competition
Pesahwar: The team of University of Engineering and Technology (UET) Peshawar
stood first among 50 leading academic institutions of the country which
participated in the "Taking the Next Steps- Commercialisation and Going
A press release here Monday
said the programme was arranged by the National Information and
Communication Technology Research and Development (ICT R&D) Fund and
conducted by Cambridge Advisors Network.
programme the UET team would visit USA to present its project on smart
ways of electricity theft detection and isolation to address the
resultant loss of substantial revenue. The projects would be presented
to investors in four US cities. The news
Post your comments