DHA college student clinches top position in KU exams
Karachi, June 28: A student of the Defence Authority College For Women Phase-VIII clinched the top position in the BSc (Pass) Part-II examination of the Karachi University (KU) by getting 85.3 percent of the total marks.
Speaking about her achievement, Kanza Bushra attributed her success to sustained and regular hard work.
She appreciated the guidance and encouragement of her teachers. Bushra said that the environment created by her college played a vital role in her success.
Thai students' delegation visits KU
Karachi: Karachi University Vice Chancellor Prof Dr Muhammad Qaiser said on Wednesday Pakistan and Thailand shared a strong trade relationship based on mutual trust, and these ties could be strengthened by enhancing academic relations between the two countries.
Exchanges of students between Pakistan and Thailand would prove to be beneficial in every respect, he said, while talking to a delegation of Thai students studying in Islamic International University, Islamabad.
A visit of 32-member students' delegation was arranged by the Thai Embassy, Islamabad.
A presentation about the university's academic facts was given to the students.
The students were also updated about the international students' admission criteria.
The delegation was later taken to the Dr A Q Khan Institute of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, Department of Computer Science and Botanical Garden.
After visiting the university's departments, the students showed interest in taking admission in this Alma Mater. The news
KU evening programme students advised to pay fees
Karachi: The University of Karachi (KU)'s director evening programme has advised all evening students who have not yet paid their dues, to clear the same before next academic session starting on July 10. "In case of failure to do so, they will not be promoted to the next semester nor will their names be included in the attendance sheets," said a press release issued here on Wednesday. Daily times
'Private schools resisting hepatitis drive'
Karachi: Thousands of students aged from five to 15 years in private schools in the city could not be vaccinated against the hepatitis B virus as government-run vaccination teams were not allowed to access them during a recently concluded special drive.
This was stated by the manager of the Sindh hepatitis control programme, Dr Abdul Majeed Chhuto, at a press conference at the Karachi Press Club on Wednesday.
The conference was held to highlight the programme's progress and performance during the past four years and to clarify a statement given by a member of the Sindh Assembly about the hepatitis control activities during a recent assembly session.
Flanked by deputy manager of the programme Dr Ali Anjum and Dr Zahoor J. Baloch, Dr Chhuto said the statement by revenue minister Jam Mehtab was incorrectly reported in a section of the media.
"I have personally explained the working of the hepatitis programme
to the minister and he said he was convinced that the programme was
being run in a transparent manner and benefited the masses, including
those living in the high-risk districts of
the province," he said.
He said the hepatitis control programme launched in 2009 as the chief minister's initiative had an annual target of treating about 95,000 hepatitis B and C patients and vaccinating about 1.4 million people, including jail inmates and people living in high-risk districts, including Ghotki, Shikarpur and Jacobabad.
Under the programme so far about 1.4 million patients of hepatitis B and C had been treated, while about 4.6 million people had been given preventive vaccines against hepatitis B, said Dr Chhuto, adding that about 1.8 million schoolchildren in Karachi and Hyderabad divisions had been given three doses against hepatitis B in the first phase of a special campaign organised with the cooperation of the Sindh education department and the deputy commissioners concerned.
However, he complained that not all students of schools in Karachi could be vaccinated as school administrations resisted the government vaccination teams.
The programme had req-uested the authorities to intervene, but a relevant education department offi-cer, despite the education secretary's directives, failed to help.
He, however, said efforts would be made to reach the leftover students during the second phase of the hepatitis B vaccination campaign meant for schools after summer vacation.
Dr Chhuto said creating awareness among the people and healthcare professional about preventive measures was essential in controlling the spread of both the HBV and HCV.
Replying to a question, he said the hepatitis programme had got the sale price of pegasis injection reduced by 50 per cent across the country with the help of Switzerland. Over 2,000 hepatitis patients from Balochistan and Punjab had also benefited from the Sindh hepatitis control programme after the winding up of the prime minister's programme on control and prevention of hepatitis following the devolution of various health sector facilities to Sindh under the 18th constitutional amendment, he said. Dawn
New academic block at Fuuast
Karachi: A new academic block will be constructed on the Gulshan-i-Iqbal campus of the Federal Urdu University of Arts, Science and Technology (Fuuast) at an estimated cost of Rs178 million.
Fuuast Vice Chancellor Prof Dr Mohammad Qaiser laid the foundation stone of the building, said a spokesperson for the institution on Wednesday.
Project director Mohammad Kamran said the four-storey structure would be built within 18 months. He said it would accommodate four teaching departments, modern labs, classrooms and an auditorium. app
200 schools to teach Chinese from next academic session
Karachi: Around 200 schools will be selected in different districts of Sindh to impart the Chinese language to pupils in the forthcoming academic session under President Asif Ali Zardari's directives.
This was stated by Secretary Education Muhammad Siddique Memon in a meeting chaired by Chief Secretary Raja Muhammad Abbas at his office on Wednesday.
The education secretary informed the meeting that under the president's directives efforts were being made to teach Chinese at primary and lower secondary levels.
The process for the development of these institutions was under way in different cities, including Karachi, he added.
The meeting also reviewed around 91 projects from different sectors under the same directives.
Managing Director Karachi Water and Sewerage Board Misbahuddin Farid informed that treatment plants at Lyari and Malir rivers were being strengthened to enhance their capacity under the S-III project. It was also stated that four combined effluent treatment plants in Karachi were being initiated to control pollution.
Secretary Industries Zamir Ahmed Khan spoke about the status of special industrial zones to be built in Lyari, Gadap, Bin Qasim and Keamari.
The chief secretary directed the Board of Revenue to submit a report with regards to the provision of lands to industrial zones in the said areas within a week's time. He also sought progress reports from secretaries of public health, engineering, industries and education departments within the same timeframe.
The 91 schemes pertain to the Lyari Development Package, Works and Services, Industries, Electric Power, Planning and Development departments among others.
Future of 150,000 students hangs in the balance
Karachi: A signboard outside a school located in a slum area of the metropolis reads, "Integrated Education Learning Programme (IELP) - all expenses will be borne by the Sindh Education Foundation (SEF)". Inside, students sit engrossed in their battered books. Until a year back, these 5- to 12-year-olds were carpet weavers. With time, they learnt to bathe, comb and love books. But the effort is about to be wasted.
More than 1,300 schools being run by the SEF, providing education to 150,000 students in Sindh and employing 3,500 teachers, is at risk of closure as the provincial education department is delaying the promised funds it assured to these schools under the IELP project.
The project began in 2009 with the help of foreign donors, giving 16-month contracts to private parties interested in opening and managing schools in slum areas - at a profit. The private entrepreneurs were ensured that all financial expenses would be borne by the SEF.
However, in the beginning of the current month, all entrepreneurs received an invitation to a closing ceremony for the programme with a notification that subsidies till September would be paid and the project officially ended.
The ceremony will take place at the Marriot Hotel on June 28. No funds were allocated to the project in the provincial budget for the year 2012-13.
What the entrepreneurs fear
"We have taken the school buildings on a lease of at least five to ten years from the owners; and also spent money on blackboards and benches. Rooms with the right length and breadth were constructed as per the requirement of the SEF, washrooms were built and clean water was made available. What will happen to all that effort?" said one concerned entrepreneur.
For another, the worst setback was the education awareness programme she had conducted in her community. "I went to each house, sat with families, motivated them to register for the schools because they were free of charge. Now when they finally realise the importance of education, I might have to close it down. They will think that I was a liar and a cheat," she feared.
Another entrepreneur recalled that when these children first started attending the school, the classroom stunk with the stench they carried with them. "They were beggars and cleaning up did not suit their profession as no one pays a clean-looking child. They did not even have the sense to wear clothes of their own size. Clothes for them were just a mean to cover their bodies. I taught them personal hygiene and how to dress up."
Although most appreciate the SEF as a transparent organisation where corruption is absent, they believe that "the few good programmes running by the government in the country should not come to a halt".
The entrepreneurs feel that they will be left with only two options; either shut down the existing schools or charge fees. Both will have the same results – discord with communities, adverse impact on the lives of thousands of students and embarrassment for the several entrepreneurs who promised the communities free education for an unlimited period of time.
What the SEF saysAziz Kabani, SEF programme director, denied that that IELP was on the verge of closure. "We have been assured by the education secretary that the schools will not be closed."
The project will end on June 30. "An evaluation report will then be sent to the education department in July. PC-I will be granted to the project and funds released."
Kabani also said 60 percent of the schools were in areas, where no other education facility was available.
Public sector varsities told to submit financial plans
Karachi: Governor Sindh Dr Ishrat ul Ebad Khan directed on Wednesday that the financial matters pertaining to the public sector universities in Sindh should be determined keeping in view the prevailing situation at the Higher Education Commission and in the light of the resources available to the province in the aftermath of the 18th Amendment.
Chairing a high-level meeting at the Governor House on Wednesday, Khan, who is also the chancellor of public sector universities in the province, vowed all possible assistance to the universities.
The vice-chancellors of the universities and the directors of degree-awarding institutions, in addition to Adviser to Governor Dr Naushad Shaikh and Adviser on Higher Education Aftab Lodhi also attended the meeting.
The governor asked the vice-chancellors to submit to the provincial government the financial plans of their universities so that there were no impediments in teaching, research and other activities because of non-availability of funds.
Matters pertaining to residential facilities for the employees of the universities also came up for consideration at the meeting. To this, the governor directed that it be ensured that lands were acquired at the earliest from the Board of Revenue. The news