Afghan kids being refused admission
Peshawar, Mar 31: Some private schools in the provincial metropolis have refused admissions to the Afghan students on reported directives of the government, while the education department has denied having issued any notification banning admissions to Afghan children in private or public sector educational institutions.
Parents of some of the Afghan students Monday said that they took their children to a private school in Hayatabad for admission to 6th and 7th grades. But the school administration refused to give admissions, saying that they had got directives from the provincial education department not to admit Afghan children.
The parents, who have been living in Peshawar since long, were concerned about the education of their children. They said their children were already studying in another school in the same township, but in search of a better institution they pulled them out from there.
When contacted, the head of Forward Public School, Sarfaraz, where the students had been allegedly denied admission, said that he had read a news item in an Urdu newspaper wherein the private schools had been asked not to offer fresh admissions to the Afghan children, otherwise their registration would be cancelled. "I don't want to lose registration of my school, which is why I refused admissions to the Afghan children," he remarked.
When asked had he got the statement verified from the department concerned, Sarfaraz said it was not necessary for the department to issue notifications to each and every school. "We also come to know about holidays and other matters from the newspapers and we don't feel necessary to get each and everything verified," he said.
He said that a number of Afghan students had already been studying in his school, but no fresh admission is offered to the Afghan children.
NWFP Secretary for Elementary and Secondary Education Mohammad Arifeen, when reached on telephone, rejected the report about the notification as baseless. He said that the government had not taken any decision to put a ban on the education of Afghan children.
The official said there was no truth in the media report and the reporter concerned should have got it confirmed before publishing it. He said that as similar 'baseless' reports are published in some newspapers frequently, he doesn't deem it necessary to issue clarification or contradiction of those reports.
Management of other schools contacted by this reporter also expressed unawareness about any directives banning admissions to Afghan children.
Nazar Hussain, general secretary of Chamber of Education, an association of private schools, said he was not aware of any notification to this effect. "But if it is so, it would be a great injustice. Education is the internationally recognised birth right of every child. Since these Afghan children have born here, they should be provided access to education here," he remarked.
Another official while talking to us on the condition of anonymity said it might be a tactic of the government to press the Afghan refugees living in the provincial capital to leave for their country. However, no written document to this effect has been issued by any government department, he said.
Teachers assured of solution to problems
Mansehra: Federal Minister for Science and Technology Azam Khan Swati has assured the teacher community of an early solution to their problems.
A 20-member delegation of All Teachers Coordination Council (ATCC) called on Swati here Monday to apprise him of the problems the teachers were facing.
The delegation, headed by its president Abdul Khaliq, said that about 1400 male and female teachers of Mansehra district were facing numerous problems because of the apathy of the authorities concerned.
They said after the October 8, 2005 earthquake, the House Building Finance Corporation and Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited loans were written off in the district, but the salary loans of the government employees, including teachers, were not waived off so far.
The teachers demanded of the government that they should also be included in housing schemes. They also demanded reinstatement of number of the teachers 'who were terminated unlawfully.'
The delegation said after the tug-of-war between the provincial ministers and district government, hundreds of male and female teachers were being transferred unlawfully. They said that posting and transfers carried out as a result of the ongoing confrontation between the provincial and district set-ups should immediately be withdrawn as it was affecting the students.
The teachers informed that despite the lapse of three months, the education department could not issue appointment letters to over 800 male and female teachers selected from the district.
Speaking to the representatives of ATCC, Azam Khan Swati said that he was already aware of some of the core issues of Education Department, as he had also remained district nazim of Mansehra. He said that he would take up their problems with the authorities concerned in the provincial government. The News
Post your comments
120 youth from Balochistan, Fata to receive scholarships on Apr 1
Islamabad: The Higher Education Commission (HEC) is organizing its first merit scholarship certificate award ceremony under the Project "Provision of Higher Education Opportunities for the Students of Balochistan and Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA)" on April 1.
The initiative has been taken under President's Directive and the awards ceremony would be held on Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. at HEC headquarters here. The scholars will also be paid first installment of the stipend etc. Around 120 scholars are expected to receive the award.
This is a fully funded educational opportunity for students of Balochistan and FATA which covers the tuition fee, living allowance, book allowance and travel and settlement allowance.
The scholarships have been awarded on merit; are not linked to any discipline; and distributed among Districts of Balochistan and Agencies in FATA on population basis.
The scheme provides for award of 2000 scholarships i.e. 700 for Masters Program and 1300 for Graduate Studies over period of seven years.
However, the distribution between Balochistan and FATA is in ratio of 60 to 40 percent. The total number of scholarships will gradually increase each year whereas during the first year there are only 140 scholarships.
The total cost of Scheme is Rs. 981.486 million. Deputy Speaker National Assembly Fazal Karim Kundi will be the Chief Guest while Syed Akhundzada Chitan, Member National Assembly from FATA and Syed Nasir Ali Shah, Member National Assembly from Quetta will also address the participants.
Besides educationists, heads of various scientific organizations and educational institutions would also attend the ceremony. App
College professor gunned down in Kalat
Kalat: Unknown armed men gunned down a professor of the Government Degree College, Kalat, here in Surab on Monday. According to the police, Professor Muhammad Alam Zehri was waiting for bus on the
National Highway when unknown assailants shot him dead and fled. The motive behind the killing could not be ascertained. Police registered a case and started a search for the assailants. The News
Post your comments