Balochistan exam rescheduled, investigation under way
Quetta, March 13: The Balochistan education department has rescheduled the annual matriculation examination after English and some other papers were leaked out on Thursday night.
"After initial inquiry we have decided to reschedule the date sheet for the exam, which will now commence on March 29," Balochistan Education Minister Tahir Mehmood announced at a press conference here on Friday.
Provincial Education Secretary Tahir Munir Minhas was present.
The minister said the decision had been taken at meeting held to review the situation. It decided to formulate new papers of all subjects.
Mr Mehmood said that a committee, headed by the additional secretary of education Noorul Haq Baloch, was investigating the leakage of papers.
He said that after the printing of question papers at the secrecy branch of the Balochistan Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education the sealed papers were sent to superintendents of 79 examination centres through banks. He said the inquiry committee had asked the superintendents to send back the papers which had been cancelled.
"The papers found unsealed will identify the centre from where the papers were leaked out. Banks' staff will also be questioned."
Mr Mehmood said that if officials of the education department and the board were found involved in the leakage scandal, they would be punished.
He said the meeting had decided that in future sealed papers would be opened in the presence of a representative of the local administration.
The minister said that a commission comprising senior retired educationists would be set up to suggest ways of making the examination system and paper checking process transparent.
In reply to question, the minister said that findings of the inquiry committee would be made public before the start of the exam. Dawn
Govt plans more allocation for education sector
Haripur: NWFP Minister for Higher Education Qazi Mohammad Asad has said the ANP-led provincial government was committed to enhancing the access of students to higher education by establishing universities at district level.
This he said while speaking to the participants of inaugural ceremony of administration block of the Haripur campus of Hazara University here on Friday.
Secretary Higher Education Atta-ur-Rehman Lodhi, Vice-Chancellor Hazara University Prof Dr Syed Sikhawat Shah, deans, faculty members, students and area people participated in the function.
The provincial minister said the education had never been the priority of the previous governments which was reflected in the annual education budget of mere 1.7 per cent of the GNP.
Moreover, he said, the educational institutions followed the outdated teaching methods and focused on creating certificate and degree holders rather than preparing the students for competing in the modern age.
He said in the past only 3 per cent of the students had access to higher education while in India it was 6 per cent and South Korea 68 per cent, respectively.
Mr Asad said the government was preparing a new education policy under which the education budget would be enhanced to 4 per cent, which would be increased to 7 per cent in the next few years.
He added, under the new policy, every district would have its own university. He said that the Haripur campus of Hazara University would also be upgraded to the university level equipped with all requirements.
Ms Shaesta Irshad Khan, Coordinator Haripur campus, said the campus had 700 students in all the six disciplines of Environment Sciences, Agriculture Sciences, Education, Computer Science, BS Honours, Masters, M Phil and PhD.
She said 30 highly qualified faculty members including 10 PhDs were imparting education to the students. She demanded five buses for the campus.
Listing the demands and problems of the campus VC Prof Dr Syed Sikhawat Shah said the campus needed Rs500 million for equipping it with modern science, computer laboratories, new blocks and transport facilities.
He lamented that the provincial government had ignored the Hazara University during the last two years while other universities received their maximum share of funding.
The NWFP education minister announced one bus for the campus and promised to get it upgraded to the university level besides providing required funds. Dawn
Khuzdar University incident
Quetta: Government of Balochistan has constituted tribunal of inquiry consisting of Judge High Court to probe explosion at University of Engineering and Technology Khuzdar on March 3 and firing incident that took place in Khuzdar City on January 15, 2010, killing two persons each in the above incidents.
According to two separate notifications of Provincial Home and Tribal Affairs Department, the tribunal consisting of Justice Ghulam Mustafa Mengal of Balochistan High Court would ascertain facts and motives leading to the incident, to fix responsibility in this regard and make recommendations for prevention of such acts in future. Inquiry Tribunal would submit its findings within 15 days to the provincial government.
It may be added here that three explosions were held during a ceremony of Baloch Culture Day at Khuzdar University few days ago in which two students Junaid Baloch and Sikandar Baloch were killed and more than 20 teachers and students were injured while two persons were killed in firing incidents on January 15 in Khuzdar. PPI
Post your comments