SPLA threatens to boycott HSSC annual exams
Karachi, March 17: The central leadership of Sindh Professors and Lecturers Association (SPLA) has threatened to boycott the upcoming Higher Secondary School Certificate annual examinations as well as staging hunger strike unto death to press for the acceptance of their demands.
Addressing a press conference at the library of DJ Sindh Government Science College on Wednesday, the SPLA leaders condemned the police attack on the teachers and said that the teachers' community would observe token hunger strike from 10am to 5pm on March 17 (today) at the DJ College against the police torture.
However, they said that the final decision of boycotting exams and observing hunger strike unto death would be taken if the government did not meet their demands. SPLA has called a general body meeting of its Sindh chapter on March 24 at DJ College. In case, the government did not issue the notification by March 24, the SPLA would seek approval by its members for boycotting exams and observing hunger strike unto death, they said.
The association has also planned to take out a rally towards Chief Minister House and stage a sit-in in front of CM House the same day. "It is possible that SPLA may publicly announce its decisions to boycott the annual exams and observe hunger strike unto death on March 24 if the CM did not issue the notification regarding timescale," President SPLA Professor Mirza Ather Hussain said.
The SPLA took the decision to boycott teaching on Tuesday in reaction to police attack on teachers rally the other day. However, the association has decided to conduct extra classes to compensate the time loss of students.
SPLA has demanded of the government to immediately issue the notification for promotion under timescale formula as well as cancelling all 414 transfers of college teachers, "which were based on mala fide intentions", and formulating a proper policy in this regard.
It also demanded that the office of the Director General Colleges should be abolished and five directorates of College Education at Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Larkana and Mirpurkhas be made functional as like in the past.
It further demanded that over 3,500 vacant posts of teachers of all grades in the colleges of Sindh should be filled immediately and salary and medical arrears should be reimbursed with immediate effect.
The SPLA also wants Education Department to introduce health insurance policy for the college teachers and allowing them treatment at private hospitals.
Senior Education Minister, Pir Mazhar-ul-Haq, on Wednesday informed the Provincial Assembly of Sindh that he had ordered the education department to issue explanation letters to the protesting lecturers and deduct their salaries if they did not attend classes, and in extreme cases, sack such "rotten eggs" to pave the way for appointment of lecturers on ad hoc basis.
He was responding to a point of order raised by PML-F's Nusrat Abbasi against the police action on lecturers in the city on Tuesday who protested against non-acceptance of their demands regarding time-scale promotions.
The education minister said all other demands of the Sindh Professors and Lecturers Association (SPLA) had been accepted, and for their last demand of time-scale promotions, he had moved a summary to the chief minister.
The minister said when he assumed the charge, there were only eight professors, but now there were over 100 professors.
He also severely criticized the SPLA. The minister said that it was "compulsion" of the SPLA's two groups to resort to protest when their elections were round the corner.
He said the SPLA was not a CBA union to demonstrate outside the chief minister's or the governor's house, and they had to follow the civil servants rules.
HSSC Science results
Karachi: Controller of Examinations, Board of Intermediate Education Karachi (BIEK), on Wednesday announced that the board would declare the supplementary result of Science (Pre-Engineering and Science General) Groups for Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC), supplementary examinations 2010 on Thursday (today) at 2pm.
The other day, the BIEK announced the results of supplementary examinations of Home Economics and Pre-Medical (Science Group) Part-II.
According to the gazette notification issued here, 77 candidates registered for the Home Economics examinations and 71 appeared while 42 were declared pass. The overall pass percentage was 59.15.
Meanwhile, 1,052 male candidates registered for Pre-Medical examinations and 1,010 appeared in the exams whereas 441 were declared pass and the overall pass percentage was 43.66 per cent, Mirza said.
Furthermore, 3,334 female candidates registered and 3,175 appeared in the exams. Of which 1,007 passed their examinations and the overall pass percentage was 31.72 while one unfair mean case was reported during the exams. The news
Call for more SSC exam centres
Karachi: The action committee of All-Karachi Private & Government Schools' Associations, representing different private and government schools associations, said on Wednesday that the Board of Secondary Education Karachi (BSEK) would not be required to conduct a mock test prior to the ensuing secondary school certificate (class IX and X) annual examinations if the number of examination centres was increased by 70 to 80 per cent.
Speaking at a press conference, members of the committee said that it was beyond their understanding as to why the BSEK had decided to reduce the number of examination centres from 431 to 170 when two candidates would be sitting on a single bench during examinations.
They demanded that the BSEK authorities recall the controller of examinations who was currently on leave and if it was not possible the task of conducting the forthcoming SSC annual examinations be assigned to some senior deputy controllers.
The action committee threatened to hold a protest demonstration on March 21 outside the Karachi Press Club if the BSEK did not take back its decision of allowing two candidates to sit on a single bench.
Those who spoke at the press conference are Haider Ali, Sharfuzzaman, Faiz Ahmed Faiz, Ashraf Ali Naz, Abid Hussain, Anwar Ali Bhatti and Mohammad Farooq Ansari.
At another press conference, the chairman of All Private Schools Management Associations, Sindh, Syed Khalid Shah, said that the BSEK's decision of reducing the number of examination centres would create a number of problems, including traffic
jams and shortage of space for parking. He said the decision could also provide an opportunity to candidates to use unfair
means during examinations.
Mr Shah said he was not against the BSEK's decision of holding a mock test for Class IX science group students, adding that BSEK officials would take stock of the situation after examining positive and negative aspects of such a test. Dawn
Private schools threaten to boycott exams
Karachi: The private schools associations on Wednesday demanded of the Board of Secondary Education Karachi (BSEK) to withdraw some of the changes the board had announced for this year's SSC exams or they would boycott the exams.
In their separate press conferences, the joint action committee of the All Karachi Private and Government Schools' Association and the All Private Schools Management Association claimed that the changes announced by the BSEK in the forthcoming annual exams were unrealistic.
The board had decided to seat two candidates on a single bench while the number of invigilators would be doubled, they said.
The BSEK has also reduced the number of examination centres. These decisions would create problems for the candidates, they claimed.
They also said that the invigilators would face difficulties during distributing and collecting examination copies at the centres.
The joint action committee of the All Karachi Private and Government Schools Associations demanded of the board office to increase the number of examination centres.
They also demanded of the board to immediately release the withhold results and bring back the controller of examination on his post if he was in good health. The controller of examination is on medical leave. The news
Six injured in IJT, APMSO clash
Karachi: At least 11 students were injured in a clash between two student groups at Karachi University on Wednesday.
Windowpanes of the student adviser and security offices, located near Staff Town, were also smashed allegedly by some students involved in the brawl.
Though university officials claimed that BCom annual examinations for external students currently under way on the campus were not disturbed because of the clash, independent sources said the candidates appearing in the examination were panicked after finding out about the clash, which took place between 1pm and 2pm.
The exams were being conducted from 2pm to 5pm.
The clash between the rival student organisations reportedly erupted over the issue of chalking on walls of different departments by workers of a student organisation. It continued for an hour or so, before Rangers personnel deployed on the campus intervened.
Sources in the KU claimed that members of both groups not only freely used iron bars and clubs in their fight but also fired guns, resulting in injuries to 11 students.
According to sources, most of the students received minor injuries while the students with serious injuries were admitted to the Abbasi Shaheed Hospital and the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre.
Confirming that the clash took place on the issue of wall-chalking, the university's student adviser, Prof Ansar Rizvi said that he had helped resolve the dispute between the rival groups and the removal of graffiti would begin on Wednesday night.
Though the police belonging to the Mubina Town police station rushed to the scene of the clash, neither any arrest was made nor any FIR registered, the sources added. Dawn
Scholarships given to meritorious students of MAJU
Karachi: A ceremony for the award of scholarships to 20 meritorious students of Muhammad Ali Jinnah University (MAJU) by the government of Japan was held here on Wednesday.
Consul General of Japan in Karachi Masaharu Sato was the chief guest on the occasion.
The total amount of the scholarships was to the tune of Rs 6 million.
Speaking on the occasion, the Japanese consul general congratulated the scholarship recipients and advised them to make good use of the amount for their higher education.
He said that despite the present catastrophe in Japan that killed over 3,700 people besides huge property losses, the activities of Japanese government are not hindered.
Sato stated that the people and the government of Japan have accepted the reality and hoped to overcome the crisis soon and emerge as a stronger still nation. He advised the students to work hard towards the acquisition of knowledge.
Earlier, welcoming the consul general, MAJU President Prof Dr Abdul Wahab, showed his appreciation for the Japanese government of fulfilling the commitment and distributing scholarships at a time when they are hit by worst disaster in Japan's recent history.
Associate Dean Prof Mumtaz A Khan offered the vote of thanks. One minute silence was also observed to express grief on the present devastation and loss of lives in Japan. app