Qazi wants non-Muslims in revised history curriculum
ISLAMABAD, May 31(Daily Times): Federal Education Minister Javed Ashraf Qazi said the
histories of Ashok and Chandra Gupta Maurya could not be omitted from the
curriculum, but they were only included so that students could have greater
knowledge of the history of the subcontinent.
He was addressing the
National Assembly's Standing Committee on Education here on Wednesday. The
committee was reviewing a calling-attention notice by the Muttahida
Majlis-e-Amal concerning the inclusion of non-Muslim historical figures in the
revised history curriculum for classes VI to VIII.
Qazi made it clear
that the history curriculum dealt only with historical events and not religious
incidents, reported Online. He said non-Muslims were involved in the history of
the subcontinent and therefore could not be omitted from the curriculum. MMA
members, however, were not satisfied with Qazi's stance even though a majority
of the committee expressed its agreement with the federal education minister.
Committee members said the revised syllabus provided students with complete
information about the changes that occurred in various rulers'
The committee also took notice of the teacher's strike
throughout Pakistan and directed Qazi to consider the teachers' demands
including an increase in salary. Qazi said most of the demands dealt with the
teachers' individual provinces and the committee stressed upon greater
coordination among the provinces.
Qazi stated that Rs 8 billion had been
disbursed under the Presidential Educational Reforms project, adding that Punjab
did not want to be part of the project, because it was willing to enact
Educational Reforms through loans from the World Bank.
Post your Feedback about information available on this page.