BISE online system fails yet again
Lahore, Oct 03: The Lahore Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education's online registration system failed yet again, causing problems for private colleges registering intermediate Part I students for the annual examination 2012 through the Lahore Board website.
The last date for online registration was extended till September 26, but the website link for registration was not working in the last few days. This failure left many regular students of private colleges unregistered.
A number of faults have already been exposed in the online system of Lahore Board since its inception in 2010. The system caused problems for students and the college administration every time registration began, roll number slips were issued and results announced. Recently, further problems were exposed when the result of matriculation was announced and more than 10,000 students were placed under the Result Late (RL) category. Besides the RL case, a number of students also received result cards full of errors.
Failure of registration mostly affected the administration of private colleges, who had been unable to register their students. Private college principals, students and their parents had complained and expressed concern over the failure.
Principal of a leading private college of Lahore said that more than 200 students of his college had been unable to get registered because they were unable to access the link leading to the registration page. He said that he had contacted board officials several times, but that the reply from them was unfriendly and unsatisfactory. He added that the online system also failed last year during the registration of intermediate and matric students.
He said, " It is very sad that authorities have no concern for the future of students and that no one is thinking about the failure of the online system. The Punjab government should revise its decision on using the faulty online system."
The mother of a student, Mrs Jamil, said that board officials should make arrangements to provide facilities to students rather than create panic amongst them every time. She also appealed to the higher courts to take notice of the board's negligence.
Lahore Board Spokesperson Qaiser Virk said that the board would accept a hard copy of the documents of those students who were unable to get registered online. He said that he had no information regarding the closure of the Lahore Board's website link for the registration of intermediate Part I students. Daily times
UET convocation on 11th
Taxila: The 10th convocation of University of Engineering (UET) will be held on October 11.
According to Mehmmod Akhter, the controller of examinations, all graduates from 2007 session of Taxila and Chakwal sub-campuses and those who have qualified for PhD and MSc degrees since the 9th convocation would be conferred degrees by Governor Punjab Sardar Latif Khosa.
BISE-private schools row puts students in a bind
Rawalpindi: Thousands of class 9th students of about 70 private schools are running from pillar to post to get their examination results as the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education Rawalpindi has blocked the results after the institutions failed to renew their registration.
The results of 9th class were announced a month back in which some 100,000 students were declared fail. These students applied for rechecking of their papers in which majority of students achieved passing marks.
But the board has neither announced nor mentioned the second results on its website and only those private schools have been provided with the cards which are not defaulters to the board while the rest of institutions have been denied access to results for want of registration renewal.
There are 1,078 private high schools affiliated with the BISE while the number of government schools is 882. According to officials, results of 70 private schools have been withheld due to a row between the school owners and the board.
This is for the first time that the board has failed to publish result gazette which is mandatory and the right of students, inviting criticism from both the parents and school owners.
Arish, a student of a private school, does not know about his result and has got admission to 10th class. There is no result of his class on the website of the BISE.
Mujtaba, a student of a private school, said his parents were arguing with both the school management and the board about his results, adding he was anxiously waiting for his results.
"We know that students have no fault but the owners of schools are exploiting them by not complying with the rules and regulations of the board.
We have imposed penalties on many schools and they are now using students as a shield against us," Secretary BISE Rana Atta said when contacted.
He said majority of the students had been informed about their results while results of only those private schools which had not renewed their registration were withheld in order to force their managements to complete their legal formalities.
However, Dr Mohammad Sultan Alam, the principal of a leading private school, told this reporter that the board had failed in announcing the results; adding dozens of school owners were all set to move the court in this regard.
"I ask the board as to why the result gazette was not made public which is mandatory and the right of students. Why the official website does not show the revised results. There are certainly malpractices which the authorities want to hide. We will soon expose the scandal," Dr Sultan said. Dawn