UET entrance test result
Lahore, Sept 15: The University of Engineering and Technology on Wednesday declared the entrance test-2011 results for admission to undergraduate programmes in engineering institutions of Punjab.
The results were formally declared by UET Admission Committee Convener Prof Dr Muhammad Ali Maud. The university has uploaded the results on its website - www.uet.edu.pk.
Mr Maud has announced that the candidates may submit their admission forms by Sept 19. First merit list will be displayed on Sept 28, while Oct 3 is the last date for depositing dues and documents. Classes will begin on Oct 10.
As many as 41,000 candidates were expected to appear for the examination but around 20 per cent students dropped out because of their weak performance in FSc examinations. As many as 31,292 candidates participated in the entrance test.
The entrance test marks would carry 30 per cent weightage for admission to engineering institutions across Punjab. The highest marks (305 out of 400) in the entrance test have been obtained by a candidate appearing at examination centre in Rawalpindi. Dawn
No big fish netted in UET paper leak
Lahore: As per the report of the Punjab government regarding the leaking of entry test questionnaire of the University of Engineering and Technology (UET), it has been figured out that the teaching staff was not involved in the crime, rather low ranking officials were involved in it.
It has been found out that Lab Attendant UET Muhammad Mobin, during stapling and assembling, copied the paper, and gave it to Shahid Rasheed (Internet cafe owner), who in turn sold it to Raja Faizan Talib (student) for Rs 1,75,000. The latter dished out the paper to two more students Khizar Hayyat and Aqib Zulfiqar.
This process went on, and the questionnaire was sold to different students for different packages, ranging between Rs 20,000 to Rs 0.4 million, the last one purchased by Prof Rehan Khan.
The police have gathered record of mobile calls, SMSs and computers, which were used in spreading the paper across to many students. All the culprits are stated to have confessed indulging in the crime. The nation
Varsities closed for 10 days
Lahore: The Punjab government has ordered closure of all universities in Lahore for 10 days in view of the dengue threat. The universities will re-open on Sept 24. It may be mentioned that some universities have not so far resumed their academic sessions after the summer vacation. The Punjab University was scheduled to re-open after summer vacation on Sept 19. The admission process would, however, continue as per schedule.
The Government College University has suspended classes till Sept 23 owing to the dengue threat. However, the university teaching faculty and administrative staff will remain on duty. The GCU Registrar said examinations had been rescheduled. However, he said, admission schedule would not be affected by the notification.
He said Thursday (Sept 15) was the last date for submission of admission forms for M.Phil/MS, while forms for admission to BA/BSc (Honours) could be submitted till Sept 19.
The University of Education has announced closure of academic activities on all its campuses in Lahore for 10 days. Varsity's administrative offices will remain open.
Schools closed till 25th
Lahore: The Punjab government on Tuesday announced closure of all public and private sector schools and colleges in Lahore for 10 days in a bid to counter the "dengue threat".
The government has announced that the schools and colleges will re-open on Sept 26.
Meanwhile, private schools' associations have announced that they would organise anti-dengue spray in their institutes and keep them opened. In case of resistance from the government, they have stated that they will move court.
On the other hand, parents have criticised the Punjab government's abrupt decision of closing schools. A concerned parent, a doctor by profession said it was strange that the government took such an abrupt decision and closed schools without considering the fact that the dengue attacked either early in the morning or in the evening.
Stating that the government had already suspended the holding of assemblies before the start of the schools, he suggested that the government could have opened and closed schools and colleges a bit late and there would have been no threat of dengue during 8am to 2pm or 9am to 3pm.
Rashida, a mother, said students' precious school days were being wasted every year in the name of floods and dengue, and regretted that the government just failed to take measures to counter such emergencies effectively.
She asked what the government would do after 10 days and what would be the guarantee that the dengue would be controlled during these holidays.
Meanwhile, Punjab Education Minister Mujtaba Shujaur Rehman said the schools and colleges would re-open in Lahore district on Sept 26 and it would take administrative action against private schools' managements who would try to open schools before that. Dawn
Institutions urged to complete fumigation at campuses during closure
Lahore: Punjab Chief Minister (CM) Shahbaz Sharif has said that the administrations of schools and colleges in Lahore should enssure completion of fumigation at their respective campuses while the institutions remain closed, adding that the town committees would monitor the entire process and the institutions' administrations were bound to submit a formal report in this regard. The CM said this while presiding over a meeting that was held to discuss the steps being taken for eradication of dengue. MNAs, MPAs, secretaries of various departments, senior doctors and experts were also present during the meeting. The CM said that arrangements had been made for importing medicines and machinery on an emergency basis for elimination of dengue. "300 foggers will arrive by air from Germany within the next 10 day whereas a special team is also being sent to get medicines from India," he said. Separately, the CM also paid a visit to the Sharif Medical City Complex on Wednesday to monitor facilities being provided to the dengue patients. Also, the CM appealed to the citizens to send the dengue patients to Social Security Hospital Manga Mandi where best treatment facilities would be provided to them, adding that the hospital was equipped with modern treatment and diagnostic facilities for the dengue patients. Daily times
GCU to remain shut till 23rd
Lahore: Classes will remain suspended at the Government College University Lahore from September 15 to September 23 due the prevailing situation of dengue virus. However, the university teaching faculty and administrative staff will continue working.
According to a press release on Wednesday, GCU Registrar Anjum Nisar said examinations had also been rescheduled, however, admission schedule would not be affected by the notification.
He said September 15 was the last date for submission of admission forms for MPhil/MS, while forms for admissions to BA/BSc (Hons) could be submitted till September 19, 2011.
UoE: Dengue spray has started at all the campuses and divisions of the University of Education with the collaboration of the Punjab government.
According to a press release on Wednesday, the spray was started in postgraduate block, hostels, ground and its main campus. Students were informed about the precautions for the disease and pamphlets were distributed. Directed by VC Dr Faizul Hasan, Registrar Bashir Ahmad Chaudhry issued instructions to the students for safety against dengue.
PU holidays: The Punjab University teaching departments would observe holidays from September 19 to September 23, 2011, and they would reopen on Monday, September 26, 2011, said a press release here on Wednesday. The news
Blunders lead to rush at BISE
Lahore: Hundreds of students have been visiting the office of Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education these days in order to get their papers rechecked after confession of blunder made by the board administration regarding the compiling of result of a position-holder.
The BISE announced the results of intermediate annual exam on Saturday last and on the very next day it had rectified an error in result of a candidate who subsequently was declared first in the Humanities Group (Girls).
According to the board announcement of position-holders on Friday, Sara Zahid of the Ghazali College for Women Township was declared first with 940 marks in the said group, Sadia Arshad, a private candidate was declared second with 933 marks and Neelam Shah of the Govt Degree College for Women, Kot Radha Kishan (Kasur) remained third with 917 marks.
After the rectification of error on Sunday, Sara Abbas (Roll No 530020), a student of Mansoora Model Intermediate College for Girls became topper with 955 in the Humanities Group (Girls). On account of the said 'mistake', the BISE management suspended computer in-charge, Mian Tariq, and initiated an inquiry against him.
The confessed mistake encouraged the candidates to get rechecked their papers but insufficient staff deployed to address their complaints adds to their miseries. On the occasion, parents of the girl students demanded of the government to take action against board administration and computer consultant Dr Majid Nadeem. "What is the compensation of our precious time killing and hardships while the mistakes are at the board's end", said father of a girl student.
According to BISE Controller Examination Syed Ijaz Hussain Naqvi, they had established six counters to entertain the complaints of the candidates regarding data posting etc. It may be mentioned here that BISE for the first time had experienced computerised system which could be considered as a bad-experience. Resultantly, the students not only had to face problems in getting on-line forms and taking their roll number slips but had also the terraced-error doubted them regarding their results as well.
The controller said that the computer operators were not trained fully. He said Dr Majid Nadeem was responsible for their training. He informed that they had 30 computer operators and three programmers, adding the errors were not surprising as every new system got some time to become an efficient one. The controller added he had requested the computer consultant Dr Majid to chalk out a three month training programme for the computer operators.
While talking about the late results of many students, the controller examination said a number of students submitted their forms with single fee after the due date that's why there results were late. He said the board had not stopped them to sit in the examination but their results would be released after submission of dues. He said some students wrote wrong roll numbers on their answer sheets due to which they were facing problems regarding their results.
Students still waiting for exam date
Lahore: Students of four-year BS (Hons) programme with six male and female colleges of the province are suffering a lot due to inordinate delay in conducting examination by the Punjab University, it is learnt on Wednesday.
Sources said that more than 6,000 students of BS (Hons) programme of six colleges including MAO College, Government Science College Wahdat Road, Islamia College Civil Lines, Queens Marry College and two colleges of Gujranwala have been waiting for their second semester's final-term examination for one and half month.
Punjab University Center for Undergraduate Studies had announced that the examination of second semester's final-term of BS (Hons) session 2010-14 in 19 different disciplines including Science, English, Mass Communication, Arts, Commerce, Psychology and others would be commenced in the first week of August 2011. But, the sources said, the university did not finalise the date so far.
It may be mentioned here that due to uncertainty, the students are skipping the institutions and the drop out ratio is on the rise. It appears that the BS programme may fail in the beginning because of the lethargic attitude of the concerned authorities. nior teacher of PU Center for Undergraduate Studies seeking anonymity said that examination was being delayed as the external paper setters did not submit the papers to the university. The nation
VCs appointment case
Lahore: A division bench of the Lahore High Court on Wednesday gave last opportunity to the Punjab governor in capacity of chancellor of public sector universities to make representation of his office in the court with regard to proceedings of intra court appeals (ICAs) against dismissal of writ petitions by a single bench pertaining to appointment of vice chancellors for six varsities.
Heading the bench, Chief Justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry expressed displeasure over unnecessary delay on part of the chancellor and warned that the appointment of Government College University vice chancellor Dr. Khaliqur Rehman recently made by the chancellor/governor would be suspended if the office of the chancellor remained unrepresented on the next hearing.
Additional advocate general Muhammad Hanif Khatana undertook before the court to seek instructions from the chancellor in this regard by the next hearing, September 21.
Dr. Hassan Amir Shah, Dr. Yousaf Hayat, Dr. Shaukat Ali and Dr. Maqbool Hussain Sial have filed the appeals.
A single bench comprising Justice Nasir Saeed Sheikh had on June 24 last dismissed their writ petitions against the appointment of VCs and declared that the Punjab government s search committee had been acting lawfully and no irregularities were found in the process of appointment. Besides many other grounds taken in the appeals, the petitioners had also pleaded that the higher education department had no role to play in selection of vice chancellors of public sector universities, either as per the applicable statutory regime or as per the Rules of Business of the government of Punjab.
Liberty plaza: The Lahore high court on Wednesday, while hearing a petition challenging construction of Liberty Parking and Ride Plaza, directed the Lahore Development Authority to identify the law under which it permanently closed roads adjacent to the plaza.
As proceedings started, petitioners counsel Muhammad Azhar Siddique told the court that provincial government, the LDA and the PHA had been wasting court s time for seven months on one or another pretext.
Encounter case: Additional District and Sessions Judge Muhammad Sheraz Kiani on Wednesday adjourned until September 26 the proceedings of accused police officials, including a DSP, allegedly involved in fake encounter.
On Wednesday, the counsel of the accused appeared before the court and pleaded that revision petition of the accused was still pending in the Lahore High Court, imploring the court to adjourn the hearing. The news